First Sergeant

Death Knight (dps)

Post by Sar »

Character Information
Character Name: Sar
Race: Orc
Class: Death Knight
Professions: JC/Mining, both maxed out.
Armory Profile Link: (I couldnt post it as a link due to 5 post minimum restriction, so I guess either someone else has to post my armorylink, or search manually on eu armory on my name)
Previous guilds: Nidhögg
Connections to Sinister Ministry: I chat pretty much on daily basis with Seimor, Kouga and former members of SM such as Vaga. Infact a lot of my friends, both in IRL and ingame, has some connection to the guild, although some of them was in SM quite a while ago back in Vanilla/BC.
Pre WOTLK raiding Experience: Casual raiding such as Karazhan, Zul Aman, Gruul.
Ulduar Experience: All bosses except for Algalon.
Trial of Champions Experience: Normal clear and 4 bosses on hardmode.
ICC Experience: I just started playing after a break, but Ive done up to Lich King on normalmode so far.
Extra information: The majority of the time spent in this game, Ive done it on my rogue (Nilv). It was my mainchar pretty much since day one until december 2009 when I went on a break from the game. I came back a couple of weeks ago and decided to ditch the rogue and switch to my DK in order to get a fresh start and find new challenges in learning a new class. Ive played on my DK as a tank alt character earlier, (tanked full Naxx, 11 bosses in Ulduar and full ToC), but as a main I prefer dps as mainspec since it is the type of role Ive played the most by far.

As player Im calm and patient and never (or atleast very rarely) lose my temper or focus on what Im doing. As mentioned, I have some experience from tanking with my DK, and if it turns out that Im the best option available for switching to OT when needed, then Im happy to help out with the best I can do.

Personal Information
Interests: Music, hockey, hanging out.
Availability: I work during daytime but If I can plan my gametime a few days ahead, Im very flexible aside from that.

Rotation thoughts
I tend to more rely against a priority system rather than a static rotation. But if conditions are optimal I do:
Startup: PS, IT, BS, PEST, SS, If proper I pop dps macro (blood fury, speed potion, summon gargoyle, empower runeweapon) SS, SS, BS, BS, DC, DC, SS, SS, PEST
Rince and repeat rotation: BS, DC, HoW, SS, SS, BS, BS, DC, DC, SS, PEST

My priority system though is basically like this:
1: Move away if there is anything nearby that would potentially kill me.
2: Put/keep diseases up.
3: Spread diseases if possible/proper.
4: Use dps macro if possible/proper.
5: SS
6: BS (or BB depending on fight).
7: DC
8: HoW (though if its about to expire and no other horns or totems are available, this goes up to number 2 in prio)

The priority system dosent mean that Im always doing the things in that order, its rather a mindset thing. For example, DC comes almost last in the priority but if I have more than 2 secs left before I can do a SS or BS, I do DC and hit the highest hitting available ability right after the GC comes off as it should be up by then.

Theory and updates
I keep myself updated thru rawr, elitist jerkist, mmo champion. I also keep track on what Death Knights in guilds such as Ensidia and Paragon are speccing into, gemming and so on.

With that being said, I do from time to time adjust my gear or spec from what is being "mathematically optimal" to what I feel I gain the most of overall in a raid environment. After all, the maths can somtime be a bit misleading due to not being able to keep 100% dps uptime or prioriatizing survivialbility as a melee depending on type of encounter.

UI
Ive uploaded a picture on my UI but I cant post it due to the linkrestriction. So I guess Ill try to explain my UI and addons as well as I can.

My overall approach to set up my UI is trying to keep it as clean as possible. The addons I use are:
Classtimer: to keep track on diseases and procs. There are plenty of good meters of there, but this one is good enough for me and fits my personal taste.
AG unitframes: mostly because Im used to the appearance of the frames, but also want the option to place them wherever I want to. Being able to show both total health and percentages on target is crucial aswell.
Omen: standard threatmeter that does the job.
Recount: I analyze the stats recount records quite alot to see if I can improve my dps depending on what the conditions of the fight are like. So far this is the best dps meter Ive found.
Grid: small and clean raidframe and very easy to keep track on debuffs on the raid.
Satrinas buff frames: I like this addon because it allows me to enlarge and place the debuff frame right where I want to.
Bartender: for bar movement and easy mode keybinding.
Tiptac: Allows me to place the tooltip where I want to and if I want to mouseover targets-target fast and easy, it helps out a lot.
DBM: pretty solid addon for raidwarnings and such.
Aloft: I like having castbars on my nameplates. The threatwarning glow is a nice aswell when fighting big packs.
Mappy: simply because it cleans up the buttons around the map and allows me to make it a little bit bigger than blizz default. Only for visual purposes.
OmniCC: cooldowns on the buttons. I dont watch these numbers very much, but Ive had them for so long so no reason not to have them. I would probably miss it, if I didnt use it.
Quartz: Allows me to place the castbars right where I want to, and make them a little bit bigger and more visible than blizz default. The latency feat is nice, but nothing that I need except for when I play on my shaman.

Raids
My personal goal when stepping into a raidinstance is try to stay as close to optimal performance I possibly can. I dont want to be a burden to the raid, I want to be as important as everybody else is. Optimal performance for me is first and foremost - dont go and die or be the cause of anyone else dying and causing uncalled trouble; follow the strategy that is being set, be quick to adjust if conditions are taking unpredicted turns and try to do as good as possible within that frame.

Aside from my personal goals I always try to relax and enjoy as much as I can of the game while being in a raid. It makes it much easier for me to pay attention and stay focused on whats going on... And more fun :)

Motivation
I want to join SM because I want to be a part of a guild that strives to make steady progress in 25 man raids and aims for new challenges. The raiding schedule suits me good aswell. I would also like to go further and do hardmodes with ppl that are motivated and capable of making it doable. And having heard so much about SM from my friends, I think I will like the social climate.

Thanks for reading my application. Feel free to ask me questions ingame or in this thread if there is something you wanna know. Cheers!
Sar
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Sar »

I forgot to mention that I do from time to time fraps, just for fun. I uploaded 2 crappy clips on youtube. I cant post the link though, but if you search on the phrase "sar death knight" you should be able to find them.
Altarion
The Artist

Post by Altarion »

Seimor
General
General

Post by Seimor »

Nice app mate!You wont regret inviting this guys thats for sure probably 1 of the best players i have been playing whit. A fast learner who helps out whit hints/tips when needed. Gl whit your app Daniel hope u will get a spot in sm :)
nu ska vi testa om det går att åka segway på kullersten.
nej.
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Officers will discuss your application.
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
Zoc
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Zoc »

Im just wondering something. Did you make that priority for your specc yourself? I think, and EJ agrees, that a solid worked in rotation for unholy is the best way to go.
We are not procc reliant as frost is, that's why frost has a priority system rather then a rotation. Even if there are target switching I stick to my rotation, or much moving, same thing there really.
And your rotation seems a little wierd, why are you using pestilence?
Just a few questions :). GL with your app!
resolved
Grunt
Grunt

Post by resolved »

Nice app man gl!
Shizume
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Shizume »

Zoc wrote:Im just wondering something. Did you make that priority for your specc yourself? I think, and EJ agrees, that a solid worked in rotation for unholy is the best way to go.
We are not procc reliant as frost is, that's why frost has a priority system rather then a rotation. Even if there are target switching I stick to my rotation, or much moving, same thing there really.
And your rotation seems a little wierd, why are you using pestilence?
Just a few questions :). GL with your app!
Because he is using Glyph of Disease and are refreshing his disease durations whit pestilence instead of Dark death for harder death coils.....

Gl whit the app Daniel
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity
Zoc
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Zoc »

Which should result in a dps loss shouldnt it? As Plague Strike and Icy Touch does damage aswell, and don't forget the buff he get's from doing Icy Touch.
Im pretty sure he can't fit in that rotation before Icy Talons runs out. Correct me if im wrong.
Shizume
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Shizume »

Pestilence is refreshing icy talons aswell. So instead of using a frost and an unholy rune he uses a bloodrune to refresh all diseases witch will give you one more scourge strike
Zoc
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Zoc »

Lousy written in the tooltip then, says it refreshes durations and seconday disease effects on the primary target, Icy Talons is a buff on your self.
Strange how EJ says nothing of it, therefore it should be a dps loss? Or else they would of included it in the specc yes?
Shizume
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Shizume »

I personally got a small dps increase but it is strongest vs multiple targets on paper Glyph of dark death should be slightly better on single target fights and Glyph of disease on multiple
Zoc
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Zoc »

You can always learn new stuff :), seems I stand corrected. Well, good luck with the app Daniel!
Sar
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Sar »

As pointed out by Shizume, Im using Glyph of Disease to refresh my diseases. Even though its been nerfed (not being able to keep up initial buffs while refreshing anymore) I picked up on Synti´s (classleader in Paragon) opinions on GoD and he swears by it for all current viable dps specs. After trying it out for myself, I personally agree with him.

Glyph of Dark Death is slightly stronger mathematically, but that assumption does not include gear upscaling. Or atleast it does not seem so. DC scales quite ankward with gear and according to my Rawr simulations, GoD is better mathematically aswell with the gear I sitting on atm.

I have no problems keeping up the Icy Talons hastebuff since it refreshes when I use pestilence to refresh diseases and with epidemic specced, the disease duration exactly matches the Icy talons 20 sec duration time.

As regarding my rotation my "priority system" is rather a mindset thing than a strict order. Its a personal preference for me which makes it easier to plan my next move ahead when optimal conditions are not in place. On fights like Patch/Saurfang where I can follow a static rotation 100% of the time, I do that.

If Ive left out some questions unanswered, please let me know and I will try to answer them as fast and good I can.

Cheers!
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Check your PM.
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.