laptop help

Chit chat
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

People that play on a laptop should be taken outside and shot but that is just me :lol: Some laptops are probably good enough to play on. I just hate the Mac operating system because I always used Windows so I am very biased :D
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
Schneel
Champion
Champion

Post by Schneel »

Joujubruju wrote:
Schneel wrote:I would go with an MSI GX gives the same performance as an macbook pro but without useless crap and at half the price. Or an Asus with even better performance then the macbook and still alot cheaper.
No way an MSI GX runs the same as macbook pro, maybe it is in par with the simple macbook. About Asus laptops, only series G70 and up are "marginally" better than macbook pro and they are very close to the mac price, but still windows work faster on mac w/e anyone says :D

U can be haters, I am not fond of the apple prices and policy at all, but talk no trash about teh machines they make, they are far better than the solutions that companies like HP, Dell and whoever else is pushing around PCs.
The MSI is actually is on par with the macbook pro, except for a slighty worse cpu. But then the MSI has a faster harddrive and a better gfx card so it's pretty much evens out. But sure if you really want that much more battery time for that much more money, I wont argue. ;p
Gorlom wrote:"personally I think taurens warstomp is more useful then hex."
tormentio
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Post by tormentio »

well fenz..i dont use a laptop for playing, have a desktop, but will start school again and i need one, and though i do a fast hc in between classes :)

anyway schneel, a comp is as fast as his slowest component, so a bad cpu drags the whole system down.

at this time i havent checked the price for macbook pro but 7H autonomy sounds quite nice, and i need that so it might be worth it.

thx for all the replies
There is no spoon!
SerXes
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Post by SerXes »

For school go for a netbook or a slim 13".

For gaming the asus gamer series offer decent performance can't really compete with a desktop but thats as close as you get.

You could probably run wow on most entertainment notebooks without too much hassle if only for short periods.

Macs are not really built to do any gaming on. Crappy graphics card and heating problems make it a pain.
Joujubruju
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Joujubruju »

Macbook pro uses Nvidia GT 330M the best gaming asus uses ATI Mobility Radeon that is double trouble (more heat sensitive and worse gaming performance than Nvidia chipsets). Secondly Mac never has heat problems if u believe this it is LIES :D 105 str8 hours of work prove it.
flame
El Complicatore

Post by flame »

Use a DEll XPS, happy with it.
Complicating is the true path to simplicity.
Schneel
Champion
Champion

Post by Schneel »

Joujubruju wrote:Macbook pro uses Nvidia GT 330M the best gaming asus uses ATI Mobility Radeon that is double trouble (more heat sensitive and worse gaming performance than Nvidia chipsets). Secondly Mac never has heat problems if u believe this it is LIES :D 105 str8 hours of work prove it.
K. A GT 330M is like way down the list compared to alot of diffrent ones from both ati and nvidia if your looking for performance. :lol:
Gorlom wrote:"personally I think taurens warstomp is more useful then hex."
Pellaagarion
Blood Guard
Blood Guard

Post by Pellaagarion »

I think you missed some benchmarks jouju :P And I have no problem with my radeon card.
Yaur
Champion
Champion

Post by Yaur »

Bought a Macbook this week (http://www.apple.com/nl/macbook/)
It will play WoW/WC3/Starcraft 2. But I will mostly use it to look awesome.

I can see myself now, all hip.. drinking coffee while wearing a beret.
Will post pic’s in a few weeks when I receive my macbook and buy a beret.
Joujubruju
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Joujubruju »

I am not going to talk about mac any more, haters are alwayz haters I am fine with that, and no I did not missed any benchmarks or anything, but when looking performance as a whole, macbook pro beats 4/5 of laptops effortless and half of the ones better than macbook pro are only "marginally" better and on gaming section only, if u need portable solution as a sound engineer like me the most probable is that u go the mac way, u can't have a PC perform there like mac this is also true for other people that handle media, they would prefer a mac anyday.

And about graphic cards ATI STILL does not have its own 3D compiler in its GPUs and U still wanna talk about games and ATI??? I never said ATI are bad graphic cards and yes in sterile benchmark environments they probably beat Nvidia but ---> They are NO GOOD gaming graphic cards <--- I just wish gamers around teh world could just accept it that 10 years now Nvidia has locked down the gaming graphic market... this is from a review I read on a site before I leave for vacations
Nvidia, arguably, it has an edge in at least one important DX11 feature, the hardware tessellator. Designed to spew out huge numbers of polygons and therefore give games more geometric detail and realism than ever before, the tessellator could prove to be the killer feature in DX11. Early tests suggest Nvidia's chips have more tessellation power than ATI's.

Nvidia is also way ahead of ATI when it comes to stereoscopic 3D. Nvidia's 3D Vision technology is the best way to get 3D on your PC today. It works with a large number of games and is also compatible with certain formats of 3D movies including Blu-ray 3D.
flame
El Complicatore

Post by flame »

Joujubruju wrote:I am not going to talk about mac any more, haters are alwayz haters I am fine with that, and no I did not missed any benchmarks or anything, but when looking performance as a whole, macbook pro beats 4/5 of laptops effortless and half of the ones better than macbook pro are only "marginally" better and on gaming section only, if u need portable solution as a sound engineer like me the most probable is that u go the mac way, u can't have a PC perform there like mac this is also true for other people that handle media, they would prefer a mac anyday.

And about graphic cards ATI STILL does not have its own 3D compiler in its GPUs and U still wanna talk about games and ATI??? I never said ATI are bad graphic cards and yes in sterile benchmark environments they probably beat Nvidia but ---> They are NO GOOD gaming graphic cards <--- I just wish gamers around teh world could just accept it that 10 years now Nvidia has locked down the gaming graphic market... this is from a review I read on a site before I leave for vacations
Nvidia, arguably, it has an edge in at least one important DX11 feature, the hardware tessellator. Designed to spew out huge numbers of polygons and therefore give games more geometric detail and realism than ever before, the tessellator could prove to be the killer feature in DX11. Early tests suggest Nvidia's chips have more tessellation power than ATI's.

Nvidia is also way ahead of ATI when it comes to stereoscopic 3D. Nvidia's 3D Vision technology is the best way to get 3D on your PC today. It works with a large number of games and is also compatible with certain formats of 3D movies including Blu-ray 3D.
Macs are still fighting for a place next to the pc´s. The truth of it all is that so many manufacturers produce hardware for pc´s that it is impossible for a Mac to be ahead of the best PC available. The choice for media people over pc´s is the operating system which is and will be ahead of PC´s in terms of reliability for a while, tho, give Linux all the MAC and Windows software and even that will go down the drain. Same goes for live electronic music producers, who prefer macs so their set does not "perform an illegal operation" while playing live. But the race is silly, highest end PC´s are far more powerfull raw wise than any MAC by far, not to mention cheaper. Its just due to the hardware diversity available to PC´s. And MAC did have to change its processors along the linbe to be competitive. Eventually more hardware will be taken from PC´s to Mac´s so they can continue to stay competitive.
We talk about and usually compare end user machines, but go over the specc and start looking at high end servers and xeon machines and there is not possible comparison with Macs. Its not a fair fight imo.
Cool looking machines those macs tho :)
Pellaagarion
Blood Guard
Blood Guard

Post by Pellaagarion »

haha I'm not a hater but for some reason if you don't agree you're automaticly a hater but that's how internet works these days :P
Yaur
Champion
Champion

Post by Yaur »

If you ask me the only thing mac (OS X) does better than other vendors (MS Windows / Linux) is user input devices. Everything else is same/more limited. As for using a mac as a sound engineer, you are the expert of course but as I recall a macbook(pro) has a shared input/output plug.

Comparing macbooks with other vendor's is a waste of time.
You will almost always be better off buying a asus, msi, dell or whatever if you look at specs vs costs. This is a fact.

Only reason why I bought a macbook is the shiny factor ^ ^
Joujubruju
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Joujubruju »

Yaur macbook pro has a dock station that is connected via firewire with a tone of inputs/outputs and has also one audio line in and one audio line out both digital (it is not exactly a simple input/output plug).

Flame, I know all shit about raw power and electronic schemes in the industry, but lets face it, PCs have one big problem and that is "compatibility" u never gonna have this with mac. When I was at uni I had the luck 2 work with several servers, the 2 that I never had problems with were a Mac Pro 8-core server and a Sun Blade Xeon Moduled Server (I wish we had SPARC servers but...) and u know why those were the best? It was not because they were the fastest but because they had the best OS for that job, and had the greater uptime when moduling or changing configurations. Reboots on those two sweeties were like 1.30 downtime, were an Intel and an HP server I remember had more than 4 minutes. It is not alwayz a matter of power but a matter of flexibility in some cases, and networking needs things to be done smooth.
If U wanna push the envelope to higher standards then ok Mac lacks the variety of equipment PCs and other platforms got, that is a reason that apple does not offer main-frame solutions, but on the other hand very little companies offer this cause of the compatibility trouble that ravages the industry.

Bottom line is that with Mac u get a package of well made machines, beautiful with no troubles, ultra fast, safe and good OS that covers 95% of the needs of medium-end user and it feels classy. It is not the same feeling when I plug my simple laptop to the console at work and when I plug the Macbook :D
flame
El Complicatore

Post by flame »

I agree mate, it is a package work. I worked with HP-UX and Unixware for years and the OS was built for the machine. And yes they were fast and the best machines around. My point was that PC will excel when the OS is designed around the machine and has a decent degree of competence (around the lines of a Mac). Unix has that potencial but lacks the 3rd party software support. I have no doubts that eventually Macs will adapt if they are not doing that already to a big extent. But Mac is well known for loving their property and it may take a while for them to open up as such.

The compatibility issues are minor still if you compare the amount of gear available, and I am talking about hardware compatibility not software, which is another nightmare, especially when put together.