World of Warcraft is Good for the Brain!

Chit chat
Yõthar
Grunt
Grunt

World of Warcraft is Good for the Brain!

Post by Yõthar »

Looool 8)
So we do something good i guess.
You can use it against parents, partners etc. when they say wow ain't good for yah. hehe

You Docs: 'World of Warcraft' actually can help seniors with memory, reasoning.

here is the link: http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index. ... t_act.html

this is a copy of the article
"Bye bye, Lawrence Welk; hello, "World of Warcraft"? Yes, seniors who want to remember every punchline, birthday and even the latest March Madness joy might want to duke it out with their closest teenager for extra computer time. The irony is that the very games that parents think of as not being great for their kids (or spouses) actually may help people of a certain age develop better memories and reasoning skills.

A pilot study that taught seniors to play "World of Warcraft" found that spending at least 14 hours (in two weeks) playing the game improved the results of tests that measured thinking speed, memory, executive function (what you use when you plan and organize) and spatial ability. The more they played, the better they got -- both at the game and at these mental skills.

This isn't the first study to find that video games keep minds young. The improvements make sense: Keeping your brain mentally stimulated prevents memory loss, especially if you use parts of your brain that you normally don't use.

But video games aren't all you need (that goes for kids, too). Physical activity staves off brain drains like Alzheimer's disease by boosting cerebral blood flow and stimulating the growth of grey matter. It's never too late to start; even people with mild memory loss saw improvements six months after adding just 20 extra minutes of activity to their lives.

The YOU Docs, Mehmet Oz and Mike Roizen, are authors of "YOU: On a Diet." Want more? See "The Dr. Oz Show" on TV (weekdays at 3 p.m., KATU/2). To submit questions, go to www.RealAge.com. 8)
The Devil my care but I bloody don't!