Battlefield Bad Company 2

Chit chat
Shaatii
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Shaatii »

Fenz wrote:
Shaatii wrote:hello guys, been a while :) im playing the beta aswell, whats your soldier nicks?
Fenz, Yaur, Shaidar & dr.knott I believe. I have the first 3 as friends in my list. Can check when I get home.

I hope you got a haircut marine?!

PS We need warriors!
Cool, ill add em laters.

No haircut yet tho :!:

Hehe, i didnt even play my warrior to 80 in wotlk :) how is the raiding going? i have some irl friends that told me the bosses is alot cooler/funnier now.
Meek
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Meek »

when are we playing?
Strike first. Strike hard. Cobra Kai!
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

I can play at 14:00h, will pick a server and see who can join. Will be on vent too.
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

A review:
Nothing improves competition like a great rivalry. After years as the kingpin of military multiplayer, Battlefield creator DICE found its title in jeopardy as FPS gamers abandoned PCs in favor of consoles and Call of Duty became the gold standard. At the core of Infinity Ward's world-beating shooter was the Battlefield blueprint. The studio borrowed the persistent rankings and unlockable weapons concepts from Battlefield 2, refined them to unprecedented levels, and matched its robust online offering with an expertly crafted single-player campaign featuring thrilling scripted sequenced that put action flicks to shame.

Not content on settling for second place, DICE throws down the gauntlet with Bad Company 2, delivering its best multiplayer package since Battlefield 2 and a remarkably improved single-player campaign that openly mocks its rival while cribbing from them at the same time.

As with all Battlefield titles, a phenomenal mode serves as the heart of Bad Company 2. The game successfully blends many innovations from the series' past with impressive new features to create a robust experience that rightfully challenges Modern Warfare 2 for the multiplayer crown. All the Battlefield staples return - player progression, rankings, squad groupings, unlockable weapons, and huge maps that allow players to attack via land, air, and sea.

The deep progression system constantly dangles the carrot of achievement in front of you, offering a wealth of unlockable weapons, gadgets, and specializations with nearly every round. An impressive array of pins and insignia document your battlefield prowess, and the dog tags return as boast-worthy incentive to knife unsuspecting enemies.

Conquest and Rush still serve as the multiplayer pillars, but Bad Company 2 also introduces two new change-of-pace modes. Squad Rush places a four player team in the role of attackers who must best the four defenders by destroying two crates. Squad Deathmatch, on the other hand, pits four teams of four against each other in a battle for kill counts and bragging rights. Both modes feature more intimate maps and take much less time to complete than the standard Rush mode.

Teamwork and coordination are stressed to new degrees as well. Keeping close proximity to your squad is essential for reviving fallen teammates, which can spell the difference between successfully defending a crate and losing it while half of your squad waits at respawn.

The multiplayer modes are complemented by a fantastic array of maps. Many pay homage to great maps from Battlefield's past, and the diversity in locale and terrain assures every battle plays out differently. Some concentrate on vehicular combat, where controlling the air with choppers or mounting an assault with tanks are the keys to winning the war, while others stress infantry tactics in tighter urban locales. These expertly crafted environments are a far cry from their cramped and frantic counterparts in Modern Warfare 2, giving players room to coordinate orchestrated assaults.

A pair of useful new tools bolster the team tactics. The spotting mechanic helps improve communication by allowing players to mark enemy positions as they identify movement on the battlefield. In addition, the overpowered artillery from Bad Company has been removed in favor of a player-guided UAV that allows you to track and mark enemy movements from above between missile barrages.

DICE made many logistical changes to the multiplayer experience, but failed to address some other minor hindrances. You can finally kick unwanted players from your squad to make room for a buddy, but large groups will gripe when their party gets split by the sometimes unaccommodating matchmaking system. The sketchy statistics updater still takes awhile to post the results from your most recent match (a legacy problem that's plagued Battlefield for years), and the annoying kill cam is sure to anger players using the recon class because it gives away sniping positions.

Snipers also won't be pleased that DICE once again doesn't allow players to go prone. Thankfully, you can ditch the kill cam in the new Hardcore mode, which also turns off many HUD elements and increases the damage to deliver a more realistic war experience.

As great as multiplayer is, DICE takes its biggest strides forward with the drastically improved solo campaign. The follow-up to the Swedish studio's first attempt at crafting a meaningful single-player experience in mimicking some of the best games to date - keen gamers will notice borrowed elements and Call of Duty and Uncharted 2 sprinkled throughout the campaign.

The most drastic improvement comes with its renewed sense of pacing. By ditching large open-world environments in favor of a more linear path, DICE is better able to craft memorable scripted sequences that the first game sorely lacked. Amazingly, DICE pulls this off without sacrificing the player's sense of freedom - the levels are still big enough to offer several tactical options for players to explore.

The jokers from B Company resume their role as the lovable heroes, but DICE trades in the humorous Three Kings storyline of the first game in favor of a more somber mission. When the U.S. learns the Russians are after a secret WMD the Japanese developed during WWII, a routine mission turns into a globetrotting escapade that takes B Company from the jungles of South America to the peak of the Andes mountains.

Though the stakes are higher, that doesn't stop Sarge, Sweetwater, Haggard, and Marlowe from cracking jokes at each other's expense. The comedic dialogue shines throughout the game; these eccentric soldiers have more personality than than all the protagonists from Call of Duty, Rainbow Six, Sonic Adventure, Ghost Recon, and Medal of Honor combined.

A number of subtle improvements keep the campaign moving along with the clip of a Hollywood blockbuster. DICE ditched the health syringe from the first game in favor of a regenerative health system, the forgiving checkpoint system doesn't punish players, and you never have to babysit your more-than-capable squad during the intense firefights. The only thing the campaign lacks is co-op; since four heroes are already fighting side-by-side throughout the game, this was missed opportunity for DICE to one-up the competition.

Though the campaign doesn't top the brilliant set pieces found in Modern Warfare, the drastic improvements bring it near the level of Infinity Ward's juggernaut. Placed in tandem with the exceptional multiplayer, Bad Company 2 is a memorable shooter that should be a favored destination on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network for much of 2010.

Concept:
Challenge Infinity Ward for the crown of best military shooter.

Graphics:
The heavy use of particle effects in the desert sandstorms and mountain peak blizzards adds a wild card element to the firefights.

Sound:
From head-rattling explosions to the clatter of bullet casings hitting the ground, this is the best sound design in the genre. It's so detailed you can hear the footsteps of soldiers approaching from behind.

Playability:
Smoother aiming and tightened vehicle controls improve the moment-to-moment experience, and the new health regeneration system greatly aids the pacing of the single-player campaign.

Entertainment:
A vastly improved single-player campaign complements some of the best tactical multiplayer action on the planet.

Replay Value >> High
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Free beta keys:

http://www.fileplay.net/keys

Dunno if they are still there...
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

This update is about performance and stability again. We are not doing any changes to the game's datafiles.
Reduced input "lag"
On machines where the CPU would out-run the GPU, sometimes the GPU would queue up several frames' worth of rendering commands.
This could lead to the game having a high framerate, but input still feeling very sluggish.
Now there's a limiter on how many frames the CPU is allowed to be "ahead" of the GPU.
Control this setting via Settings.ini. Default setting: RenderAheadLimit=2

Performance optimizations with biggest improvements on dual-core machines
Fixed black "masks"
The soot on buildings with holes in them had a bugged renderpath. We switched that over to a more well-tested renderpath.
Improved hit-detection
We've gone through the hit detection logic, and client+server will now give more consistent results.
Fix for some "rubberbanding" issues
C4 should stay attached to vehicles and not rubberband around
Reduced spikes/dips in framerate
Various fixes for alt+tab related CTD on Dx9
More fixes for random CTD on Dx9
Fix for crash when you're in a vehicle that gets destroyed
There was a race condition in the code;
System 1 thought "oh hey, you're leaving vehicle X"
System 2 thought "the vehicle got destroyed, let's remove it"

If system 2 ran before system 1, chaos would ensue.
This was actually fixed in the retail version since a month, but it was only when we got detailed crash reports from the community that we understood *why* the Beta was crashing.

Likely bugs in this build
I wouldn't be surprised if it (still) has trouble remembering your settings between rounds. It would be nice to have that fixed too, but it's better to get a patch out now, and look at the settings issues afterward.
Meek
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Meek »

very nice fixes
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

The last Beta keys are going out now. You can find them with these server providers around the world (well mainly Europe and one Asia host) during today.

Fileplay.net
i3D.net
Eliott-Ness.com
ProGaming Italia (through ESL)
Fragnetics.com
ComputerGames.ro
GameHosting.co.uk

So if you don't have a key and want to give it a try in the last few days then head over to their sites and see if you can get one.
Nyandu
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Nyandu »

I think I'm gonna buy the game :o
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

We already did, are you on Steam?
Meek
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Meek »

4th march, the day things will go KABOOOOOOM!
cant wait :)
rmz
Warlord
Warlord

Post by rmz »

yeah bored of playing 1 map only and capped XP :-) time for retail!1
Nyandu
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Nyandu »

Yes I am on Steam - downloading the beta with my crappy internetspeed.
Asharak
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Asharak »

ZOMG!
OfficialBFBC2 Twitter wrote:The BETA of Bad Company 2 PC has now ended. Thanks for all the valuable information you gave us.
http://twitter.com/OfficialBFBC2

HOW AM I TO GET MY GAMING SATISFACTION NOW!?
Mains through the ages: Asharak -> Liandrin -> Shaidar -> Albeo
Sneek: So much, so fast. It's hard not to OD
Nyandu
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Nyandu »

Asharak wrote:ZOMG!
OfficialBFBC2 Twitter wrote:The BETA of Bad Company 2 PC has now ended. Thanks for all the valuable information you gave us.
http://twitter.com/OfficialBFBC2

HOW AM I TO GET MY GAMING SATISFACTION NOW!?
Like this!