overclocking processor

Chit chat
Blahran
General
General

overclocking processor

Post by Blahran »

Question for the computer ''nerds'' in the guild

Im thinking of overclocking my processor of my computer.

My question is wil this increase FPS in game or is it not worth the risk of destroying my computer?
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

If it isn't broken, don't fix it!1
Last edited by Fenz on 16 Sep 2009, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
Dosan
General
General

Post by Dosan »

I have some good experiences with overclocking my cpu. Normally overclocking a cpu for gaming like FPS-shooters isn’t worth it because it wont increase your fps alot. But for wow it helped quite a bit, especially in dalaran and other crowded places.

The main thing you need to examine before beginning with overclocking is the stability of your mainboard and RAM. Also you need to know the current cpu temperature while your pc is idle and when your pc is on full load. You also need to thermal capacity of your cpu (the maximum allowed core temperature).

This a small program which can measure the core temperature of your cpu:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

To measure the temp of your cpu under full load you need a program which can stress the cpu for the full 100%. Here is a program which can do this:
http://download.chip.eu/nl/download_nl_794865.html

(These programs are also needed to test the stability of your system when it is overclocked 8) )

The stability of your mainboard is a bit hard to determine, the best thing you can do is find out if other people did some overclocking with your mainboard or if there are some good reviews of it. Good reviews normally test mainboards on overclocking capability. For the stability of the RAM you need to know the different speed's it can run on. For example: DDR2 800mhz (2x400mhz) can also run @ 667 or 466mhz. Also you need to know your motherboards FSB.

This is only a preparation for overcloking. I will help you setting it up but first we need some info :P I myself have got a e6850 core2duo running perfectly stable on 3,6Ghz (3,0Ghz standard) with a max temp of 55 degrees (73 degrees allowed). The performance improvement was about 15-25 fps in dalaran. In the outside world it doenst make to much of a difference.
Phil
"Klinge der Horde"

Post by Phil »

wtb dosan in germany to improve my machine over 9000!
Dosan
General
General

Post by Dosan »

50euro's per half an hour!

BTW: My pc is "softcore" overclocked. I haven't installed any voltage mods for it to run on 3,6ghz. I have had it running @ 4,1ghz stable but that was with voltage mods and with overclocked RAM also. The difference between 4,1 and 3,6ghz wasnt that high so I left it on "soft" mode 8)
Blahran
General
General

Post by Blahran »

Dosan wrote: This a small program which can measure the core temperature of your cpu:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
this program doesnt work on my computer it says this intel processor isnt supported
Dosan
General
General

Post by Dosan »

Wierd because the site says: "This feature is supported on all Intel Core and Core 2 based processors as well as the whole AMD's Athlon64 line of CPUs. For a full list of supported CPUs see the CPU Support List.
"
Yaur
Champion
Champion

Post by Yaur »

how much RAM do you have?
If it's less then 2gb get moar. Instant improvement.
Blahran
General
General

Post by Blahran »

i have 2Gb
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Blahran wrote:i have 2Gb
:shock:
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
Phil
"Klinge der Horde"

Post by Phil »

1gb... anyone bids more?
flame
El Complicatore

Post by flame »

Your question involves a lot of what cpu,mem and board you have and most importantly what cooler... it will only increase FPSs if you are cockblocked by your CPU when paired with GFX card mem, etc. Since that can be a bit hard to tell, I would agree with Dosan. Tho in all fairness u need to know what u doing...frying something is really easy :)
Complicating is the true path to simplicity.