Sam Raimi to direct the World of Warcraft Movie

Chit chat
Fenz
old man

Sam Raimi to direct the World of Warcraft Movie

Post by Fenz »

LOS ANGELES, Calif. – July 22, 2009 -- Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and Legendary Pictures announced today that Sam Raimi has signed on to direct the eagerly-anticipated major motion picture based on Blizzard Entertainment®’s award-winning Warcraft® universe. Raimi has, in the course of his career, clearly demonstrated a genius for developing and adapting existing fictional universes for mainstream audiences while staying true to the spirit of the original content.

Raimi directed the Spider-Man trilogy, which has broken box-office records around the world and garnered five Academy Award® nominations. Known for his imaginative filmmaking style, richly drawn characters and offbeat humor, Raimi wrote and directed the cult classic, The Evil Dead and produced 30 Days Of Night. He most recently wrote and directed the supernatural thriller, Drag Me To Hell.

"At its core, Warcraft is a fantastic, action-packed story," said Raimi. "I am thrilled to work with such a dynamite production team to bring this project to the big screen."

Charles Roven’s producing talents were recently seen with last summer’s blockbuster The Dark Knight, which grossed in excess of $1 billion, was nominated for eight Academy Awards® and won two. His body of work also includes the widely acclaimed Batman Begins and the sci-fi classic 12 Monkeys. Roven, with Atlas producing partner Alex Gartner, will be producing with Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull, Legendary’s Chief Creative Officer Jon Jashni, Raimi and Raimi’s producing partner Joshua Donen. Raimi’s partner, Robert Tapert, will be an Executive Producer and Blizzard Entertainment’s Senior Vice President of Creative Development, Chris Metzen, a Co-Producer.

"Partnering with Sam Raimi exemplifies Legendary's mandate of marrying the highest quality intellectual property to world-class filmmakers" said Legendary’s Tull. "Sam's passion for 'Warcraft' is undeniable and we know that he will create an incredible film worthy of Blizzard's phenomenal franchise. We look forward to collaborating with our partners at Warner Bros. and continuing our successful relationship with Chuck in bringing this rich new world to the screen."

"Blizzard Entertainment and Legendary Pictures have a shared vision for this film and we searched at length to find the very best director to bring that vision to life," said Paul Sams, chief operating officer of Blizzard Entertainment. "From our first conversation with Sam, we could tell he was the perfect choice. Sam knows how to simultaneously satisfy the enthusiasts and the mainstream audience that might be experiencing that content for the first time. We're looking forward to working with him to achieve that here."
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
Morlog
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Morlog »

and since spiderman 3 was crap i dont have high hopes for this

they might have put Ove Boll on it it wouldnt have mattered
a Warcraft movie wont work its a horrible idea

if you settled for making it for the playerbase wich is 12 millions then you might actually do something that the fans would appriciate but theyre going for something that will appeal to people unfamiliar with the IP wich will mean itll be crap
Disenchants into: 1 Brilliant Mind
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Raimi = King

Watch his latest horror and ofcourse Army of Darkness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeLUi_20Nrg

8)
Løcknløad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Løcknløad »

HahHAha Rofl !!
So the director of that movie is gonna make wow movie?
sudo
Guild hopper

Post by sudo »

oh god not army of crapness again !

evil dead 2 was good tho .. didnt he do that also ?

I hope they just make it one big CGI movie, live action would probably be lame .. we'll see.
rmz
Warlord
Warlord

Post by rmz »

he did all the evil dead movies .... AoD = uber!
Løcknløad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Løcknløad »

actually is that director taking any drugs? :P because looking on the vids on youtube he assures me he is :P haha
Morlog
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Morlog »

thing is lets not look at what he did wit ha small budget and a genre he loves

lets look at the steaming pile of suck that is spider man 3 since its a big budget movie with him handling someone elses IP much like a warcraft movie would be. Spiderman 2 was meh and nr 3 with mr rami is embarrasing.

does he do it better then the director of postal, alone in the dark, dungeon siege and bloodrayne did? why yes but so did the director of doom...

how many good videogame movies have you seen?

the only one that i considder slightly amusing and almost faithfull to the ip is mortal kombat 1 not the 2 or 3 thoose are really bad

did anyone enjoy doom? street fighter? any of the mr boll titles?

i almost forgot about mario bros that one is stellar....
Disenchants into: 1 Brilliant Mind
flame
El Complicatore

Post by flame »

Morlog wrote:thing is lets not look at what he did wit ha small budget and a genre he loves

lets look at the steaming pile of suck that is spider man 3 since its a big budget movie with him handling someone elses IP much like a warcraft movie would be. Spiderman 2 was meh and nr 3 with mr rami is embarrasing.

does he do it better then the director of postal, alone in the dark, dungeon siege and bloodrayne did? why yes but so did the director of doom...

how many good videogame movies have you seen?

the only one that i considder slightly amusing and almost faithfull to the ip is mortal kombat 1 not the 2 or 3 thoose are really bad

did anyone enjoy doom? street fighter? any of the mr boll titles?

i almost forgot about mario bros that one is stellar....
Gotta admit that I quite enjoyed Spiderman 1 and 2, in the category of movies about comics stuff which was not fcuked over. But Spiderman 3 was a total disaster, all due to a couple of scenes. The gfx continues to be great but the lame pseudo-dark side of Petah was a pain in the butt to watch.
Complicating is the true path to simplicity.
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Morlog wrote:thing is lets not look at what he did wit ha small budget and a genre he loves
Why not? WoW is as much fantasy as the Evil dead series? Are you saying he hates WoW? The rambling about other videogames to major motion pictures and the quality of those movies is irrelevant imo because Raimi never made one yet.

Anyway, considering what he has directed and produced I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Løcknløad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Løcknløad »

Hmm u never know maybe they are gonna make a 3D movie or maybe a normal one noone knows the point is to put some effort on it and make a nice movie for a game that so many people spend half of their day playing on it
Lateralus
Dr. Gordon Freeman

Post by Lateralus »

gonna watch it but ill keep my expectations low for now ^^
Blahran
General
General

Post by Blahran »

Løcknløad wrote:Hmm u never know maybe they are gonna make a 3D movie or maybe a normal one noone knows the point is to put some effort on it and make a nice movie for a game that so many people spend half of their day playing on it

its going to be live action movie with special effects maybe like 300 cant find video of the panle but i remeber thats what they said @ WWI or Blizcon 2 years ago
Skyly
Master of the beard

Post by Skyly »

this will suck :) haha
Krita säger:
Utan din penis i min röv känner jag mig halv
Versus
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Versus »

script for the movie already leaked out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtvIYRrgZ04