vista?

Chit chat
Meek
High Warlord
High Warlord

vista?

Post by Meek »

got my new comp hooked up today(better late then never)
it came with vista :I.
having thoughts about switching back to my old XP, since it feels weird.
but maybe there is someone who can convince me not to switch (since im too lazy to do it).
what are the big pro´s and con´s between vista and xp?
Strike first. Strike hard. Cobra Kai!
Blahran
General
General

Post by Blahran »

get windows7?
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

I am skipping Vista. Got XP and will use W7 when I get a new computer. Vista wasn't very good but maybe the servicepacks helped?
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
Yaur
Champion
Champion

Post by Yaur »

If the PC comes with a 64bit proccessor and around 6-8GB memory vista will run OK I guess.
Dosan
General
General

Post by Dosan »

It depends on your system ram. If you have more then 3,5 gb then you should use windows 7. Skip vista since it isnt stable enough for gaming on many pc's. If you have 3,5gb ram or less use XP since it is more stable and faster (up to 30%) then windows vista and/or windows 7. The advantage of 64 bit isnt noticable if you havent got a damn Icore7 with 6 trillion gigs of ram.

*Windows XP 32bit supports up to 4gb of memory in total (RAM + GPU memory)
*Vista 64bit supports up to 8gb of memory in total
*Windows 7 64bit supports up to 16gb of memory in total

*Vista vs XP (both 32bit)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xp- ... 531-4.html

*Vista 64bit vs vista 32bit
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2 ... 815,00.asp
Kerz
Champion
Champion

Post by Kerz »

Using Vista from Day 1 never had any problems with it. Only at the start of the release you had some games that didnt run under Vista. But now i never have any trouble playing the games i want.
Oke no more beer for me
Dosan
General
General

Post by Dosan »

Well it depens on the hardware of the system. A friend of mine got rid of his vista install last week because he had bluescreens over and over again. He had an official 32bit version of Vista Home Premium. Fully updated. He installed XP 32bit and his pc works fine now.
Soulslayer
Blood Guard
Blood Guard

Post by Soulslayer »

I bought a laptop with Vista on it 2 months ago, I never had any problems with it.
Always out numbered, never out gunned
Lateralus
Dr. Gordon Freeman

Post by Lateralus »

Dosan wrote:Well it depens on the hardware of the system. A friend of mine got rid of his vista install last week because he had bluescreens over and over again. He had an official 32bit version of Vista Home Premium. Fully updated. He installed XP 32bit and his pc works fine now.

Had vista on my asus gaming laptop, now i cant say that my errors was because of the op system but i got some very strange bugs with it. My external units stopped working from time to time, USB units that is. After they started bugging the laptop itself worked fine but i couldnt use usb ports to anything, in beginning i got error messages that there were some fault with the units (but i know they work.. i mean it was like 4 diffrent things my op was complaining about). When i called ASUS support about it they said they take the comp in and look at it, the thing is. It happened so random so they could never re-create the issue. For all i know they think im screwing them to get a new laptop wich is kinda frustrating :P.

Its on repair now for the 3rd time and if they cant fix it i will get a new comp with similar spec. Vista was wierd imo, alot of strange bugs and i prefer xp. Gonna try windows 7 when i get my (old repaired) or new comp. I heard alot of good things about it. I had windows vista 64b
Inncubus
Minister of Greek affairs

Post by Inncubus »

Vista hmm not sure but were in greece we say "Svista".
Svista mean delete. so if you have Vista make Svista :D
Meek
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Meek »

thanks for the input guys.
have another question, ive lost my cd with the inf drivers for my Apple cinema display 23".
have been googling around but i cant seem to find it :(.
and the apple homepage is just.... :I
Strike first. Strike hard. Cobra Kai!
Yaur
Champion
Champion

Post by Yaur »

Dosan wrote:The advantage of 64 bit isnt noticable if you havent got a damn Icore7 with 6 trillion gigs of ram.
You mean there is still people out there without a I7?
How do we help those poor doomed souls!
Graav
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Graav »

I like vista as it is now, but you'll need a good comp for it otherwise it sucks :s
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
sneek
The Punisher

Post by sneek »

Vista never gave any issue for me; the 32 bit version at that.
That's with 4 gigs, so one of those is useless.
The rig's over a year old and raiding with it was just fine.
Dito with "testing" various games like GoW, Crysis and whatnot; all of it ran fine.
This was with both Vista plain as well as SP1.
Didn't get around to installing SP2.

The only real issue that will never go away with Vista is that copying files (unzipping for example) is slow. You'll notice that.
I just live with it, but it's definately noticeable and irritating.
If you think Vista "feels" weird it's likely you'll get that same weird feeling for Windows 7.

Not sure if it's changed but there was an issue with DirectX10 not being available for XP or somesuch - this is a biggie I suppose if you're into high end gaming.