http://www.smoothping.com/

Chit chat
Dosan
General
General

Post by Dosan »

Tbone wrote:
Dosan wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRpifq6DRvI

Does that regestry fix still work in Windows XP SP3?
Does it work for Vista?? and does it work at all? what does it really do in understandable terms?
Interesting data:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328890
http://groups.google.com/group/bit.list ... 7aef0669f0

Only XP and Server 2003 But there is a similar fix for vista. No idea what it is called.
Raniz
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Raniz »

Tbone wrote:Okay, then I understood it right.. the big question though is how safe it is in terms of hijacking accounts and such things... I feel like my mother, afraid of everything on the web.. :o I'm just very protecitve of my account :x
I don't think you'll have to worry, afaik wow is using hash-based authenticating which means that your accountname and password are never sent over the internet, instead a hash is generated by your client, sent to the server which answers with another hash which then is verified by the client. If all verifications pass you're logged in.

So the only thing you're doing is that you're potentially giving these guys the hashcodes - which can't be used to hack your account anyway.
Last edited by Raniz on 29 May 2009, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
Dosan
General
General

Post by Dosan »

New info about the reg tweak.

Gaming Tweak - Disable Nagle's algorithm

The tweak below allows for tweaking or disabling Nagle's alogrithm. Disabling "nagling" allows for very small packets to be transferred immediately without delay. Note that is only recommended for some games, and it may have negative impact on file transfers/throughput. The dafault state (Nagling enabled) improves performance by allowing several small packets to be combined together into a single, larger packet for more efficient transmission. While this improves overall performance and reduces TCP/IP overhead, it may briefly delay transmission of smaller packets. Keep in mind that disabling Nagle's algorithm may have some negative effect on file transfers, and can only help reduce delay in some games. To implement this tweak, in the registry editor (Start>Run>regedit) find:

This setting configures the maximum number of outstanding ACKs in Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{NIC-id}
There will be multiple NIC interfaces listed there, for example: {1660430C-B14A-4AC2-8F83-B653E83E8297}. Find the correct one with your IP address listed. Under this {NIC-id} key, create a new DWORD value:
TcpAckFrequency=1 (DWORD value, 1=disable, 2=default, 2-n=send ACKs if outstanding ACKs before timed interval. Setting not present by default).

For gaming performance, recommended is 1 (disable). For pure throughput and data streaming, you can experiment with values over 2. If you try larger values, just make sure TcpAckFrequency*MTU is less than RWIN, since the sender may stop sending data if RWIN fills without an acknowledgement.

Also, find the following key (if present):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters
Add a new DWORD value:
TCPNoDelay=1 (DWORD value, 0 to enable Nagle's algorithm, 1 to disable, not present by default)

To configure the ACK interval timeout (only has effect if nagling is enabled), find the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{NIC-id}
TcpDelAckTicks=0 (DWORD value, default=2, 0=disable nagling, 1-6=100-600 ms). Note you can also set this to 1 to reduce the nagle effect from the default of 200ms without disabling it.

For Windows NT SP4, the TcpDelAckTicks path is:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\{NIC-id}\Parameters\Tcpip
TcpDelAckTicks=0 (Default=2, 0=disables nagling, 1-6=100-600 ms)

Notes:
Reportedly, the above gaming tweak (disabling nagle's algorithm) can reduce WoW (World of Warcraft) latency by almost half!
XP/2003 needs hotfix or SP2 for it to work (MS KB 815230)
Vista needs hotfix or SP1 for it to work (MS KB 935458)

Info from: http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=158

Tested it myself, my latency went down from +/- 120 to +/- 40
Tbone
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Tbone »

What does it mean with "Vista needs hotfix or SP1 for it to work (MS KB 935458)" ??

Is this the same change as they do in this short video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKV4iHvdR2M&NR=1
Yaur
Champion
Champion

Post by Yaur »

Tbone wrote:What does it mean with "Vista needs hotfix or SP1 for it to work (MS KB 935458)" ??

Is this the same change as they do in this short video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKV4iHvdR2M&NR=1
It's the name of the hotfix and it's knowledgebase article.
It means you should update to SP1 or download the specific hotfix. If you update your system on a regular basis it should be no problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935458/
Asharak
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Asharak »

for the windows 7 users, you can try Proxycap it does the same as freecap but it's not free, but i bet if you use google you can find a solution to that :P
Mains through the ages: Asharak -> Liandrin -> Shaidar -> Albeo
Sneek: So much, so fast. It's hard not to OD
sneek
The Punisher

Post by sneek »

Well the Nagle disable can work. I've used it in WoW with Vista SP1, I believe, since before that Windows didn't really care what the TCPAck setting was.

As for the "secure traffic gets prioritized", I believe that's a bogus explanation.
Most techies are serious about the "Network Neutrality" concept.
Maybe this doesn't go for China but I believe that Northern Europe should be clear of this type of bullcrap.
Perhaps Zwelg can pitch in his two cents?

If you're using any third party service I would suggest, strongly, that you get a Blizzard Authenticator and hook it up to your account first.
I believe the Blizzard Authenticator was designed to be resistant to a third party snooping the transmission, so.

If you don't get that thingy, you're asking to be ripped off and/or dissapointed.
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Get 1 too Sneek!
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
Tbone
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Tbone »

First of all, why can't I find TcpAckFrequency in the folder?
Yaur
Champion
Champion

Post by Yaur »

sneek wrote:As for the "secure traffic gets prioritized", I believe that's a bogus explanation.
Most techies are serious about the "Network Neutrality" concept.
Maybe this doesn't go for China but I believe that Northern Europe should be clear of this type of bullcrap.
Perhaps Zwelg can pitch in his two cents?
As far as I know the only way to prioritize transmissions on internet routers is to apply some sort of QoS tag. And most service providers won't accept any of the tags used on private networks, unless you have service level agreement saying otherwise.
Having such a agreement with your internet service provider won't help much because the QoS tag will get ripped off when it leaves the service provider network. This is one of the reasons why VoIP is not a huge success for home users (yet), some providers have agreements with each other to trust QoS tags. But this is not common.
So there is some traffic that get’s prioritized but not much, and I don’t believe this has anything to do with it being secure or not. (Ofcourse traffic with QoS tag’s on internet routers like VoIP have to be secure because you don’t want everyone to hear your phone call)
I’m not sure if this answers your question, because I did not take the time to read the article you posted :P

Also, its my birthday today! Grats me!
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Gratz 8)
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
Lateralus
Dr. Gordon Freeman

Post by Lateralus »

Fenz wrote:
Gratz 8)
grats!
Meek
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Meek »

Yaur wrote:Also, its my birthday today! Grats me!
gratzie!
Strike first. Strike hard. Cobra Kai!
Dosan
General
General

Post by Dosan »

Tbone wrote:First of all, why can't I find TcpAckFrequency in the folder?
You need to create that DWORD yourself.

"create a new DWORD value:
TcpAckFrequency=1 (DWORD value, 1=disable, 2=default, 2-n=send ACKs if outstanding ACKs before timed interval. Setting not present by default).
"
Altarion
The Artist

Post by Altarion »

the only thing i got was 250 more Mortal Strike on my cable... pff garbage