http://www.smoothping.com/

Chit chat
Lateralus
Dr. Gordon Freeman

Post by Lateralus »

Dosan wrote:Yes that sounds good, but maybe a little bit to good to be true tbh.

Why is it free to use?
advertise throught website maybe? sometimes good things happen :)
Dosan
General
General

Post by Dosan »

Will give it a try when i get back home anyway.
Tbone
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Tbone »

I'm a bit suspicious about this but I really want it to be as good as it says and without trojans.. Maybee I'll try it after you guys have used it for a while,, you're my ginnypigs! :twisted:
Dosan
General
General

Post by Dosan »

Raniz
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Raniz »

As far as trojans go you're safe, both Putty and Freecap are "clean". You don't have to download them from the site since they just provide them for you. You can go to their respective homepages and download them there.

I can personally vouch for Putty being safe.

The only concern you might have is that they can listen on your traffic since it get's routed via their server. But since wow doesn't transmit any vital information (such as username/pass) they can't hack your account even though they have access to your packets.
Tbone
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Tbone »

Yes kinda interesting, that would imply that the change isn't as good as the ping change shows in game. Even though the change is small, I still want it, however, I don't want it if it's not safe.. that worries me.
Raniz
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Raniz »

I doubt this very much. To measure latency you send a request to the destination and wait for a reply.

Asking the destination to send a request to you, have the destination measure the latency and then send the result back to you just sounds very backwards and stupid.

If you use quartz (or similar) you can look at the latency it displays since this is "real" latency; it's calculated per spellcast and it measures the time it takes for the server to respond to spellcasting requests from the client.
Tbone
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Tbone »

Raniz wrote:
I doubt this very much. To measure latency you send a request to the destination and wait for a reply.

Asking the destination to send a request to you, have the destination measure the latency and then send the result back to you just sounds very backwards and stupid.

If you use quartz (or similar) you can look at the latency it displays since this is "real" latency; it's calculated per spellcast and it measures the time it takes for the server to respond to spellcasting requests from the client.
alright! do you doubt "smoothping" aswell?
Dosan
General
General

Post by Dosan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRpifq6DRvI

Does that regestry fix still work in Windows XP SP3?
Raniz
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Raniz »

Tbone wrote:
Raniz wrote:

That talk about encrypted protocols having higher priority on the internet is just a load of bullcrap. Routers transmit packets and they only care about the headers that tells them what their next destination is, they don't have any notion about whether the contents of the package is encrypted or not.

What probably makes this work is that you connect to a server closer to you and then that server has a much better route to Paris than you do. You can compare it to driving to the closest major city and taking the highway to Paris instead of driving on smaller roads the whole way.

The SSH tunnel is just a simple way of tunneling packages, any tunneling protocol would probably work.
Nezguhl
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Nezguhl »

Dosan wrote:Yes that sounds good, but maybe a little bit to good to be true tbh.

Why is it free to use?
maybe the will have it free for a while to get ppl to use it and after a while they will start to take a charge for it?
Wallia
Lateralus
Dr. Gordon Freeman

Post by Lateralus »

hehe sounds like a part of my work, instead of autoroute i have to manually do it and mark all nodes on the way ;)
Tbone
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Tbone »

Raniz wrote:
Tbone wrote:
Raniz wrote:

That talk about encrypted protocols having higher priority on the internet is just a load of bullcrap. Routers transmit packets and they only care about the headers that tells them what their next destination is, they don't have any notion about whether the contents of the package is encrypted or not.

What probably makes this work is that you connect to a server closer to you and then that server has a much better route to Paris than you do. You can compare it to driving to the closest major city and taking the highway to Paris instead of driving on smaller roads the whole way.

The SSH tunnel is just a simple way of tunneling packages, any tunneling protocol would probably work.

Okay, then I understood it right.. the big question though is how safe it is in terms of hijacking accounts and such things... I feel like my mother, afraid of everything on the web.. :o I'm just very protecitve of my account :x
Tbone
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Tbone »

Dosan wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRpifq6DRvI

Does that regestry fix still work in Windows XP SP3?
Does it work for Vista?? and does it work at all? what does it really do in understandable terms?
Dosan
General
General

Post by Dosan »

Well I have used it a long time ago when I was playing FPS very serious. Back then it worked great and lowered my ping from +/- 90 to about 50. But I have no idea if it still works with all the new updates Windows XP got since then.