Post by Lateralus »

Anyone tried?
Gonna try when i come home.

http://www.smoothping.com/
Thingummywut
Grunt
Grunt

Post by Thingummywut »

I tried it just now. Did everything their guide said.
As soon as I started wow I got error =/, and wow closed down.
So I didn't get the chance to try it out and im too tired to figure out what's wrong :P,
hope someone else get's it working.
Offering feedback in the European forum is like trying to talk to God on a two-way radio, it simply doesn't work.
Meek
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Meek »

tried it. works like a charm, connected to the netherlands server wich i saw on their page when i pinged it that i had 37ms to the dutchies.
logged in to orgrimmar had red latency the first 2 minutes altough it didnt feel like it so i think the ping meter in wow is inaccurate now.
all i can say im 100% that i have about 30-50ms now, a whole new feel to my rotations now that i have to relearn due to years of playing this game with latency i sortof "learned" how to somewhat work around a bit when playing :p
i give you a pretty easy example:
before:
i could run forward before my casting of the mount has ended and run away bicycling around with my legs at a mount speed, with no interrupt happening ofcourse.
now if i even try 1 millisecond to run forward before the casting has ended i interrupt the cast instantly.
the ping that shows in wow seems like the same numbers it always used to be but man it feels totally different :)
i can add that used to play with 150+ms, when raiding i usually had 250-300+ms.
cant wait to try it and see the difference on sundays raid.
Strike first. Strike hard. Cobra Kai!
Thingummywut
Grunt
Grunt

Post by Thingummywut »

What OS are you on Meek? Im thinking it's because of that mine doesn't work =/.
Offering feedback in the European forum is like trying to talk to God on a two-way radio, it simply doesn't work.
Meek
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Meek »

i use win xp professional sp2 or later. cant remember
Strike first. Strike hard. Cobra Kai!
Thingummywut
Grunt
Grunt

Post by Thingummywut »

Ah okey, im on Windows 7, might be that then. Though im not affected by my latency at all, would be fun to try it out though.
Asharak
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Asharak »

i use vista atm and testing this thing for a sec, and my latency is now around 70, almost cut my latency in half! :P
Mains through the ages: Asharak -> Liandrin -> Shaidar -> Albeo
Sneek: So much, so fast. It's hard not to OD
Yaur
Champion
Champion

Post by Yaur »

Thingummywut wrote:Ah okey, im on Windows 7, might be that then. Though im not affected by my latency at all, would be fun to try it out though.
I have Windows 7 aswell and it it doesn't work for me. As soon as I try to use Freecap to start WoW I get a error.
Thingummywut
Grunt
Grunt

Post by Thingummywut »

I have Windows 7 aswell and it it doesn't work for me. As soon as I try to use Freecap to start WoW I get a error.
That's it then. It doesn't support Windows 7 :(. Too bad, it seems like a good program.
Lateralus
Dr. Gordon Freeman

Post by Lateralus »

Nice that it seems to work, havent tried it myself yet since my comp is at the repair place. But ill get it tonight. gonna be awesome to try in arena :D
Shizume
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Shizume »

lowered my ms from 180 to 40 yay
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity
Thingummywut
Grunt
Grunt

Post by Thingummywut »

Meh, now that I know that it works I wanna try it! :(
Dosan
General
General

Post by Dosan »

Is it legal and will you get banned by using it? Any more chance of being infected with virusses, trojans or hacking programs?
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

There is no catch, really! Your ping is lowered through a process called "SSH Tunneling". You can try searching on Google for "SSH Tunnel" or visit this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunneling_protocol.

Basically, the SmoothPing service takes advantage of the higher priority that encrypted traffic is given on the Internet. Simply put, we are able to redirect your connection from the slow, every day "pipes" that are being used constantly by millions of users, to the much faster, infrequently used, high speed Secure routing on the internet.

The SmoothPing service is nothing more than a proxy server, essentially just making your connection from your computer to the Blizzard servers as fast as possible. Nothing in game is modified and there is no "cheating" invovled. There are 10000's of people worldwide playing WoW via SSH Tunnelling and the number of players doing this is growing every day.

According to their website.
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
Dosan
General
General

Post by Dosan »

Yes that sounds good, but maybe a little bit to good to be true tbh.

Why is it free to use?