Fenz
old man

Darkfall trailer

Post by Fenz »

http://media.darkfallonline.com/Darkfal ... mv.torrent

In development for 5 years or something, Can sign up for beta too:

http://beta.darkfallonline.com/

Supposedly it's hardcore PvP.
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
Mortleg
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Mortleg »

i've been keeping my eye on this project for a long time. Looks very promising, also very indie so i wonder how it will turn out. But the user controlled swings and blocks sounds great to me, and not like in AOC where you just get a def bonus if you raise your shield
Mortleg
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Mortleg »

hmm now that i've looked into it even more, the beta is gonna be very short (2-4 weeks) and they are going to ship. The devs claim they are making an "UO with the visuals of morrowind/oblivion mmo", which is awesome, because the UO skill based system is maybe the best basis for a mmo. Other than that, it will be super-hardcore, friendly fire on melee swing and spells, and other awesome stuff. also there will be no stealth. There will be the option to craft/buy/recolor equipment to better blend in with your current environment, but you'll have to hide yourself, using terrain, vegetation, etc. Also all basic item types will be craftable just like in UO. Awesome stuff...i just hope their lack of financing doesnt result into a huge pile of great crap.
sudo
Guild hopper

Post by sudo »

as long as they release it in asia, they oughta be fine .. crazy koreans love stuff like that :)
Mortleg
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Mortleg »

actually no, asians love wow-style level based huge crit number games. UO is a perfect example of a western rpg, with limitless freedom of character development instead of 5 set classes. if you are not familiar, it used a skill based system, with the player improving skills with practice, just like in The Elder Scrolls series. And you level up stats with practicing the appropriate skill...want strangth and stamina - go dig in the mines or hammer that anvil! W want agility, start fencing and shooting. Want intelligence - better mix them porions and cast them magicks. Ok im hyped :D
sudo
Guild hopper

Post by sudo »

isnt lineage huge in asia, while westerners deem it 'too hardcore' mostly ?
Mortleg
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Mortleg »

lineage has a similar gameplay mechanic to wow and imo its not that hardcore, just boring and lacking content. btw wow is huger in asia than lineage ;).

And if you've never played UO back in the day i cant really tell you how awesome and unique its core system and mechanics still are. :/ prob is it was butt ugly even back then and not much content too. And i mean seizure ugly.
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

The ruleset is nice but I don't like the GFX and I want a beasttamer!
sudo
Guild hopper

Post by sudo »

no I started mmo-s with daoc ..
well and everquest for 10 minutes where I killed some chicks char on a big ass dragon..
my gf played UO a lot, she keeps ranting about it, but Ive only seen screenshots and its so fugly I dont wanna play it ever :)
Mortleg
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Mortleg »

Darkfall engine is nice, but it shows they were short on artists and modelers and animators. Still, the graphics is very good for such a low budget indie mmo, perfectly playable. If it picks up all models/textures can be updated :). Not to mention that if it doesnt have wow's policy and tweaking prevention, different fangroups will make lots and lots of custom looks for mobs, items, etc
sudo wrote:my gf played UO a lot, she keeps ranting about it
hahaaha, thats a distinctive trait of an UO player - ranting how its the best mmo ever concieved :) I remember how we would get a huge table in some beerhouse and go there to meet with a lot of mates and about 50% of us talk about UO non stop and the others mainly sit there and get bored :)

And also tamers were OP for solo!
Last edited by Mortleg on 04 Sep 2008, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Taming a nightmare was very exiting. Had some dragons too and 2 Direwolfs named Law and Order 8) It ruled that pets learned more abilities the longer you played with them.
Mortleg
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Mortleg »

I had a carrier bug that i trained to the max in wrestlinng and anatomy with my miner and me and it beat the shit out of most miner-gankers! plus pickaxe specials were disarm and bleed, awsum tbh!
Morlog
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Morlog »

you trained a beetle to wrestle?

the image you painted there hrot.... my mind hurts from visualising it tbh did the beetle grapple the ganker while you went to town on em with the pickaxe?
Disenchants into: 1 Brilliant Mind
Mortleg
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Mortleg »

"wrestling" was UO's "unarmed skill", educate urself! all tamed beasts had it. I had a friend tame it and transfer it to me, I only raised my animal handling as high as i needed to keep it. :)
sneek
The Punisher

Post by sneek »

Fenz wrote:Taming a nightmare was very exiting.
Remember that excersise was a huge pain in the ass, trying to cordon the thing off with several other folks, attempts and attemps.
Tossers coming along trying to "help" by launching energy bolts into it, pissing it off even more.

And yes UO was the best damned MMO ever.