I <3 Swedes!

Chit chat
Late
Warlord
Warlord

I <3 Swedes!

Post by Late »

Hahaha, this is classic stuff, Swedish law is great =) This is The Pirate Bay's (a torrent I think) response to an email from Sega, my personal favourite:
> Dear Sirs
>
> Further to your response below, you should be aware that your misuse of the FOOTBALL MANAGER trade mark in relation to your services constitutes an infringement in the UK, irrespective of Swedish law and whether or not you are based in Sweden, not least because your â^À^Øthepiratebay.orgâ^À^Ù website is targeting users in the UK (as evidenced by the fact that a substantial number of UK users have already used your services to download this game in the UK). This gives a cause of action and jurisdiction to sue you in the UK. Our client would then proceed to enforce the UK judgement against you in Sweden.
>
> In the circumstances, we repeat our request once more that you immediately remove the link complained of and confirm that there will be no further misuse of the FOOTBALL MANAGER trade mark in relation to your services.
>
> We look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Yours faithfully.
>
> Willoughby & Partners
>
> The Isis Building, 193 Marsh Wall, Thames Quay, London, E14 9SG, United Kingdom
>
> Tel: +44 (0)207 345 8888 Direct Fax: +44 (0)207 345 4555 law@iprights.com <mailto:law@iprights.com>
>
> www.iprights.com <http://www.iprights.com/>
>
>
>
> IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and attachments are confidential and may be subject to legal privilege and/or protected by copyright. Copying or communicating any part of it to others is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, copy, distribute or rely on this email and should please return it immediately or notify us by telephone. While we take every reasonable precaution to screen out computer viruses from emails, attachments to this email may contain such viruses. We cannot accept liability for loss or damage resulting from such viruses. We recommend you carry out your own virus checks.

Dear Prokaryote(s),

Please sue me in Japan instead. I've always wanted to visit Tokyo.
Also, I'm running out of toilet paper, so please send lots of legal documents to our ISP - preferably printed on soft paper.
No, but seriously. That's simply not how international law enforcement works. Using the same logic, a country where web sites are forbidden could press charges against you for having one.
http://thepiratebay.org/legal.php

You might have seen these before, but they're brilliant.
Sinarion
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Post by Sinarion »

I love those guys..
Braidwood
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Braidwood »

? not sure I get this?

They link to sites and then tell the people they've linked?

:?:
Late
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Late »

They operate a torrent based in Sweden and distribute things like games, music etc. It's illegal in the UK and the US so companies from the UK and US send them emails threatening legal action, and basically they just take the piss out of them because it's not illegal in Sweden, it's brilliant :D
Kibs
Guild hopper

Post by Kibs »

yeah, read those a while ago
gold :)
Morlog
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Morlog »

well distributing copywrighted software is illegal in sweden aswell however providing the service that in this case make it possible for others to download isnt.

so the legal firms are going about this the wrong way and need to register users and go after them individually as they cant shut down the torrent service provider

its as likely as getting Global cooking knifes convicted for a stabbing

not my strongest analogy but you get the picture
Disenchants into: 1 Brilliant Mind
Late
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Late »

This one's a gem too, hehe
We are well aware of the fact that The Pirate Bay falls outside the
scope of the DMCA - after all, the DMCA is a US-specific legislation,
and TPB is hosted in the land of vikings, reindeers, Aurora Borealis and
cute blonde girls.