The Risen Mandate

Chit chat
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

SM had issuse with Hydross atleast, that much i remember
This should (ofcourse) read: Maugetar SM had issuse with Hydross atleast, that much i remember :lol:
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
sneek
The Punisher

Post by sneek »

It's a bit boring if encounters hinge on game-engine technicalities that make them challenging.

This would be climbing back up on the plateaus on the Lurker, or the silly threat mechanics associated with the new Evocate, or an Energize like a Mana potion, Healthstone and all that in fights like Hydross or Leotheras.
I know those things have caused some folks to die and a nice attempt getting really hard to correct :)

But enough for the derail, this all has nothing to do with Risen.

In fact, if you'd plow the threads I linked (and any additional ones spawned) you kind of get the impression it's just management fatigue where the leaders think it's enough and they bail.
In Risen's case it's "sliding down" to the average level of gearing without any fault of their own.

Every time I check out the X-Realm recruitment forums I see guilds like RISEN constantly boasting their only remaining feats:
Current clearing time, months it took to go from Attumen to Illidan, being a certain two-digit ranked guild of the (western!) world.

And apparently, that's just not enough for Risen.
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

While we're not quite a 'zomg imba' guild - we raided 4 to 5 days a week, 19.00 to 22.00 (sometimes 23.00h, but that was rare :p)

A little birdie whispered this in my ear (apparently this is from your guildwebsite, can't be arsed to verify it 8) ):
...Of course, is to be expected to have a change in our Schedules once the Sunwell will be launched, up to 5-6 hours per day, 5 days a week, with possibly even some Saturday Activity." -Imbalanced recruitment raiding schedule, 3rd March 2008.
Your guild might not be hardcore but you do spend hardcore time on new content. Are you guys into PvP or something? I am asking since apparently you have no problem with raiding 6 days a week (for a month or 2) to become the servers first etc but what do you do after that? How do you keep your interest in WoW when there is nothing more to do PvE wise?
Spiney
Guild hopper

Post by Spiney »

Hard to keep interest when there is nothing else but raids to do. If you clear everything in 2 days it's kinda zzzz for the rest of the week. Np for me I play other games now ^^

edit: oh and after everything becomes farmable I play to get better items
Moo! Happy now?
Lateralus
Dr. Gordon Freeman

Post by Lateralus »

Spiney wrote:Hard to keep interest when there is nothing else but raids to do. If you clear everything in 2 days it's kinda zzzz for the rest of the week. Np for me I play other games now ^^

edit: oh and after everything becomes farmable I play to get better items
omglootwhore!! :p
xen
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by xen »

sneek wrote:...the new Evocate, or an Energize like a Mana potion, Healthstone and all that in fights like Hydross or Leotheras.
I know those things have caused some folks to die and a nice attempt getting really hard to correct :)
Out of interest, what mechanics?
Jump in!
sneek
The Punisher

Post by sneek »

An "Energize", as the mechanic is called, is something that gives a character a little amount of its energy type.
This Energizing is done by the character itself and is counted exactly similar as if that Character was healing himself or others.
So they get "threat" for half the amount they Energized.

This was exploited by quite a lot of tanks on Firemaw, for example, back in BWL - where Misdirection didn't exist.

So, a Mage locks and loads during a repositioning of Hydross where the big guy gets to change phase.
Mage pops a Mana Emerald for 2k mana and a Super Mana Potion for 2k5 mana.
He energizes himself for 4500 mana, only he happens to do this right at the second Hydross changes from Nature into Frost.
Boom, Hydross registers 2250 threat on Maugetar, and since the tank at that point had access to 0 expertise gear, gets his Shield Slam dodged.
Hydross walks over to Maugetar, whacks him dead, changes back into Nature, spawning four additional Nature adds in the process, because of the repositioning and Ventrilo sighs and moans!
(the name of the Mage was fingered, just for illustrative purposes!)

This can also be done through...
- Thistle Tea, Renataki ZG trinket or the Combat Potency talent proc for Rogues.
- Furor and Enrage for Feral Druids.
- Rage Potion, Blood Rage, Berserker Rage, Mace Stun proc for Warriors.
- Mana Potion, Mana Gems, Evocation, Master of Elements proc/talent for Mages.

When used at just the right time things can get messy. And I have seen that happen not only on Hydross.
Healthstones and Healing/Mana Potions are the biggest culprits here.

Even Shamanistic Rage at work on Morogrim the Tidewalker can be very deadly for an Enhancement Shaman when timed incorrectly; since it's a massive Energize at work.
MurgleGurgleBurbleBlurgle.

It's a derail again, though :)

Anyway, to just add something to the thread: I think raiding guilds are stuck in a vicious circle.

They need to raid, fast, cleanly and efficiently in order to get a top rating.
A top rating, a top rank, implies skill which provides fame and goodwill.
This makes them more attractive for new raiders because we all know how painful raiding really is and that people tend to leave.
You cannot afford to slow down, because if you slow down you become less impressive, lose goodwill or even heavens forbid have your own raiding members doubt the quality -or motivation- of their own guild and leave.

So you run the hamster wheel. Faster, and faster and faster.
Then you hit the mother of all brick walls, the mother of all "cockblocks".
Nothing.
That's right; nothing. You can't even NOT kill C'Thun, because it isn't there.

That's why there's a huge thread on EJs talking about this issue.
Apparently raiders cannot pace themselves for the above reasoning, so Blizzard'll have to do it for them.
Besides it clears up a lot of issues as well because then PvP will not be dominated by the few guilds that trailblaze PvE content.
It'll also make the PvE racing circuit for World/Continent/Server firsts start anew every 4 months instead of just one certain EU guild blazing through it, cussing and berating Blizzard every step of the way because they are doing content that Blizzard absolutely did not expect to be even remotely touched at that point in time.
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Want some cheese with your whine?

http://nihilum.mousesports.com/en/article/62
sneek
The Punisher

Post by sneek »

It is a stupid thing though :)

Basically what Kungen is talking about is that Blizzard is doing a "C'Thun" again.
Which was widely and unanimously considered to be a huge farce.
LootFTW got /spit on by Nihilum as well btw by "breaking raider protocol" and releasing their first kill immediately.

EU guilds there (Nihilum, actually) had huge leg up simply because the Hotfix to C'Thun came on a tuesday, worldwide.
So while Nihilum saw the hotfix applied on their precleared instance and could instantly try C'Thun and just kill him...
...guilds like Death and Taxes or RISEN had to reclear all of Ahn'Qiraj temple, from Skeram up to and including Twin Emperors as well as the fun fun trash in front of Ouro & C'Thun in order to try him.

Thereby they had a huge leg up on winning the race.
And now they don't really like the prospect reversed.

However, it will give a truly unique and genuine race for Muru and Kil'Jaeden because I believe the latter one has not even been tested by any guild on the PTR and the former was tuned impossible.

-edit- For a nice counterargument on the Essence of Immortals gate opening mechanic, take a good look at this PTR forum thread made by a Forté member as well as supported by Last Resort. Good reads, good drama.
Last edited by sneek on 12 Mar 2008, 10:11, edited 2 times in total.
Yaur
Champion
Champion

Post by Yaur »

March 7
Yesterday all Sunwell Plateau bosses but the fifth one and Kil'jaeden have been disabled on purpose by Blizzard to gather feedback on the M'uru encounter.

*spoiler on*

From what we have seen the M'uru/Entropius encounter has two phases; phase 1 ends when M'uru dies and then Entropius comes out for phase 2. So far two guilds managed to reach phase 2, Vodka and Nihilum but they died right after the start of p2. It seems like phase 1 is all about crowd control on the adds and burst dps on M'uru.
And sunwell is closed atm
TheWarriorKing
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Post by TheWarriorKing »

oh and need to add that whoever believes ilvl141 through badges is reasonable needs to die in a fire

unless they make it so you win championships by beating your 10 year old's nephew school class in a football match time and time again
Kozu
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Kozu »

I agree with the orc above.
Skyly
Master of the beard

Post by Skyly »

TheWarriorKing wrote:oh and need to add that whoever believes ilvl141 through badges is reasonable needs to die in a fire

unless they make it so you win championships by beating your 10 year old's nephew school class in a football match time and time again

hahaha
Krita säger:
Utan din penis i min röv känner jag mig halv
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Lateralus
Dr. Gordon Freeman

Post by Lateralus »

Nicely written, i agree with most of it