PRIESTS

Chit chat
Sinarion
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Post by Sinarion »

Thanks for the pointers, will try to test spell rotation and specc as much as possible before i start to raid.

Isn't VE used alot in raids or does it draw to much aggro with the improved version?

Another thing, Crafted epics.. which ones are worth it? I've got the FSW Shoulder and waiting for my Shadowcloth cooldown to make the other 2. Also thinking of getting Belt of Blasting and the spellstrike set or will crafted epics be replaced early?

And last, which gems? Driving me crazy. Should i just aim for +9 dmg on all of em?
Cuming soon in a bed near you!
Spiney
Guild hopper

Post by Spiney »

I take the normal VE. However, if you go all-out from the start with VE up all the time it won't be long before you start approaching the tank in terms of threat, even with bos on.

Get crafted pieces, they are insanely good. The FSW boots are practically the best there are in terms of damage and the robe is only surpassed by tier 5/6 mostly because of the stats on those. The Hydross/Vashj robes aren't too bad either, but to surpass FSW in terms of damage they need the +12 spell damage gems. But then again: put +12 damage gems in FSW and it becomes better again for damage, so it's really a matter of more stats vs more damage. Spellstrike parts are great as well, but there are pieces of gear that surpass them and they lack stamina for certain BT fights where raid damage is high.

Headpiece: Tier 6 (5 barely because of meta-slot and setbonuses), Hood of Hexing (ZA), Cowl of the Grand Engineer (TK)
Legs: Kazzak legs have more damage, but no stamina I think. The best ones are either the leggings from Kaz'rogal or Mother Shazrah. Tier 5/6 will make you lose damage because of only 1 socket, but you will gain a lot of stats. If you have the leggings from KZ then don't bother with spellstrike. If you don't and a lot of people with more dkp want better leggings then consider making them.
Belt: Belt of Blasting is very nice, but lacks stats for BT fights. The belts from Maulgar/Anetheron (best one overall) are what you should aim for. Girdle of Ruination is very nice as well, but less damage than BoB. If you can get the belt from Supremus cheap then get it.
Boots: FSW are the best, make them. There are a few boots that can be considered "equal" because of their stats. The Blue Suede Shoes aren't too bad and neither are the Boots of the Shifting Nightmare (Hydross) or the Footpads of Madness (ZA). None of these have sockets, only the Najentus boots have that but they only have 44 damage. So if you are in doubt what to make then I strongly advise making the boots first.

In general about the crafted epics: if you're not likely to get a replacement for them soon in a certain slot, get them. They're very good. I went from Spellstrike to tier 6 head and Kaz'rogal legs myself. I'm not a tailor so I didn't use FSW set, but that set is definitely worth it. However, as soon as you can get your hands on a tier 5/6 item to replace a craftable, take it, even though they have less damage.

And last but not least: +9 spell damage gems all the way, except for 1 blue sta + damage gem in the meta socket of your headpiece, so you can use the Mystical Skyfire Diamond (halfcast gem).
Moo! Happy now?
Lillstrumpan
Blood Guard
Blood Guard

Post by Lillstrumpan »

Skryter inte gärna, spelar inte känd. Föddes som en stjärna, dör som en legend.
Jhorar
Master Chef

Post by Jhorar »

Yeah, saw that too, i'd guess it's a talent comming in wotlk. But a priest can dream, right?

(Or something related to a boss encounter, but that'd be boring)
Anna Navarre: You're wearing sunglasses on a night operation?
JC Denton: My vision is augmented.
Betdel
General
General

Post by Betdel »

Are SP:s in bad shape? Found something on the priest forums.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm ... 8773&sid=1
We need Snarky posts from Sneek on EJ:s
Kozu
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Kozu »

Saying that shadow priests haven't had a HUGE impact on TBC raiding, is fucking bullshit.

But it doesn't suprise me that he's the one writing it, an ex-High Council dude.
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Kozu wrote:Saying that shadow priests haven't had a HUGE impact on TBC raiding, is fucking bullshit.

But it doesn't suprise me that he's the one writing it, an ex-High Council dude.
In PvP they are easy to kill (for locks at least). I like them in PvE as a battery but I find the damage they can put out rather high for a healer class (If I am allowed to qualify a priest as a healer class :) ).
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
Phil
"Klinge der Horde"

Post by Phil »

Kozu, go back whining to your Pally thread please :)

Priests: worst scaling and therefore "worst" dps class ingame (check here for reference), but people forget that Spriests are there for utility (namely 2 debuffs and mana for Mages/Elementals).
I've read that it will become tough in SWP though, with its high dps requirements on certain encounters.

There's not much to say about PvP, there is a way better spec for that and according to Blizzard not all specs are intended to be viable :wink:
Skyly
Master of the beard

Post by Skyly »

Kozu wrote:Saying that shadow priests haven't had a HUGE impact on TBC raiding, is fucking bullshit.

I actually agree 100% with the author on the forum thread. I remember having a huge impact on raiding in SSC and TKE(and before that), but the further you progressed in TBC the less I felt needed. In MH and BT the SPs aren't really needed anymore because ppl won't go oom before the boss dies.... in general. Switch out the sps and get two other dpsers in and the boss dies even faster....

And I've totally noticed our bad scaling with gear compared to other classes, it's really frustrated to see when you struggle to get gear, yet nothing much happens. And haste doesn't really benefit us as much as it does to other classes.

And fenz, why shouldn't sps have the option to be great damage dealers? When shamans, warriors and druids are capable of doing it.

They should make mindflay being able to crit imo.
Krita säger:
Utan din penis i min röv känner jag mig halv
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

I always need to lifetap but seldom get a sp!
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
TheWarriorKing
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Post by TheWarriorKing »

1 sp is a must on every raid though
Skyly
Master of the beard

Post by Skyly »

TheWarriorKing wrote:1 sp is a must on every raid though
I disagree. It's not a must. But it's peachy for the healers.
Krita säger:
Kozu
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Kozu »

Phil wrote:Kozu, go back whining to your Pally thread please :)

Priests: worst scaling and therefore "worst" dps class ingame (check here for reference), but people forget that Spriests are there for utility (namely 2 debuffs and mana for Mages/Elementals).
I've read that it will become tough in SWP though, with its high dps requirements on certain encounters.

There's not much to say about PvP, there is a way better spec for that and according to Blizzard not all specs are intended to be viable :wink:
Good shadow priests still pump out 1.4k dps, yes it's true warglaive rogues do around 300 more dps than that. You can't rely on the site either. It shows the HIGHEST EVER done DPS on a log. So fx. on Akama some classes will have very high dps. So what you see on the priest stats, is actually that the priest dps is very stable around 1.4k dps for high end shadow priests.

1) SPs are a hybrid, so accept the fact you're not top dps
2) I dunno, but if you don't think 300-350 mp5 to your whole group, then I really don't know what to tell you.

My base mp5 SELF BUFFED is 140, so by giving me 300-350 more it's over a 200% increase. Got the point?
3) Retri Paladins DPSwise is also around SPs, and they bring less "game breaking mechanics" to the raids. So shouldn't they whine more? No they're fine.
4) It's true SP's scaling is not that super good with all the implemented stats. But the changes is coming, and I can only see this 'omg low dps'-issue in the far future when we talk tier7+ items - then I can see the issue coming. There's NO issue atm.

Don't see this as an attack or something against the guild, but an optimal raid brings ATLEAST 2 Shadow Priests, in 9/10 cases where the guild run full Arcane mages - they use 3.

But due to the spellhaste change, then I doubt the scaling that bad in the future.

And please, don't bring me some of this usual 'omg get experience noob', I've cleared whole MH and BT on Shadow Priests, with T6 yes - I'm VERY aware of what they're capable off.

The reason why so many shadow priests in general suck at dpsing especially in endgame, is because the class changes. In the start of TBC, shadow priests was just all about this 'no brainer'-rotation with VT, SWP, MF, MF, MF... etc. These days, the rotation is based on Mindblast as primary damage source. That also means that people redid their talent and started going 5/5 Imp Mind Blast etc. It've taken a lot of people a LONG time to learn this new way of DPSing.
----

PvPwise, I really don't get you either. Sure shadow priests is not the strongest dpser, no body disagree - BUT, if you look from the general perspective... there's classes that suffer more than shadow priests. Look at Howwl's priest, still capable of reaching respectable raiting as shadow. Look at Allowed priest, which plays together with Gabel in 2v2 around 2.1-2.2k raiting.

I really don't see the issues is that big, atleast far from what issues other classes have.
Last edited by Kozu on 28 Mar 2008, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
Skyly
Master of the beard

Post by Skyly »

sure I know what they are capable of. I am just saying that it doesn't seem that they are as vital now as they have been before, for good and bad.
Krita säger:
Kozu
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Kozu »

There's nobody that disagree with you scaling worse than most other classes (maybe except Alliance Retri Paladins here in 2.4).

But the scaling ISN'T an issue atm, I just wanna point that it'll become a problem in the future - but it ISN'T atm.

Basicly, the reason why I have 0 respect for these HC shadow priests, is simply because they're so dumb. Joining a server and screaming 'WE'RE R HARDCORE RAIDERZ', and then go inspect their shadow priests and see them having Improved Vampiric Embrace *sigh*.