PRIESTS

Chit chat
Lateralus
Dr. Gordon Freeman

Post by Lateralus »

FYI (recently released info from blizzard, from mmo-champ)

The Role of the Priest (Source)
This is an experiment. One of the things that has confused me a little are all of the posts from players who say they don't understand the role of the priest class. It is unclear to us why there is so much confusion about this particular class, which seems to us to be fairly straightforward.

We are often reluctant to lay out our design goals very clearly, because frankly some players tend to use those statements to attempt to lawyer us into changes ("I'm supposed to be the master of AE damage") or would rather argue about the design instead of providing feedback on how the class actually works.

Nevertheless, because players have asked for it so often and in the interest of trying to foster the discussion, here is what we think of as the role of the priest class.

The Role of the Priest
The priest is a caster class that uses Holy and Shadow magic. Priests can only wear cloth armor and have a limited selection of weapons, but do most of their damage and healing from range. They make up for their low armor with spells that offer protection and healing.

Discipline -- this is a healing tree that emphasizes survival and single-target healing. Discipline specializes in damage absorption and prevention rather than restoring health, although they are very capable in that department too.
Holy -- this is a healing tree that has a spell suited for every situation. Holy priests can heal groups, heal individuals, heal tanks, or do all three in a single encounter. They are better at group healing than Discipline priests, but don't have as many damage prevention capabilities. OR WANDING!!1111 /Late
Shadow -- this tree sacrifices healing for damage. Shadow priests can restore health and mana to their group while casting their spells. Like the Shadow damage of warlocks, Shadow priest damage tends towards drains and damage over time spells.
xyara
Grunt
Grunt

Post by xyara »

Hi guys,

I have read almost the whole and replies, but didnt find the things i was looking for.
I am looking for information about whats the base mp5 for priest at lvl 80 (holy spec).
And if you wanna use potions whats the best and especially why.
The same for food and enchanting. I will work to get my own list of ideas and would like some opinions about this.
As soon as i am done i will post this list as well.

When it comes to dps and tanking everyone wants to know exaclty everything, but when it comes to healing it gets a bit boring.
Please give me your opinions and especially the "why" to use specific pots/enchants/food.

Thanks for the help
Phil
"Klinge der Horde"

Post by Phil »

3.1 specs, imo the best as follows:

Disc healing

Holy healing

Shadow PvE

For Xyara's questions... Flasks will always be better in terms of cost/benefit. Before 3.1 I'd suggest the normal spellpower flask, though that may be subject to change with 3.1 (who knows for how much mana regen will be nerfed) - especially as AoE healer which will be the main task for Holy Priests then, thanks to strong CoH, PoM and the new targetted PoH.

Food and enchanting, basically anything which grants you spell power and/or spirit (or int, if none of the former is not available).

I pretty much expect regeneration to be most valuable in the early Ulduar times, which will eventually change once you gear up accordingly as AoE healer.
Disc won't have that many problems and will be in better shape as MT healers - Holy will have problems to fulfill that job, due to nerfed IHC and Serendipity.
xyara
Grunt
Grunt

Post by xyara »

Phil wrote: Food and enchanting, basically anything which grants you spell power and/or spirit (or int, if none of the former is not available).
Thats what i didnt wanted to hear :? But i liked the rest.
I think every fight is different and we can have different needs on different type of fights
(too bad i cant seem to know all of these needs yet :P).

So basicly Phil i dont have to go for the mana regen in food/enchanting or gems ?

these are the things i usually use. But i guess now i should drop the mp5 ?

Food
fish feast 46 spell power + 40 stamina
mighty rhino dogs 16 mana/5 sec + 40 stamina
cuttlesteak 40 spirit + 40 stamina
Battle pots
spellpower elixir +58 spell power
guru's elixir +20 all stats
Guardian pots
elixir of mighty mageblood +24 mana/5 sec
elixir of mighty thoughts +45 intellect
elixir of spirit +50 spirit
flasks
flask of frostwyrm +125 spell power
flask of pure mojo +38 mana/5 sec
xyara
Grunt
Grunt

Post by xyara »

Thank you fenz for your help.

If any have questions about priest (holy) read this.
Its pretty good in my opinion and helped me with a lot of questions.

http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t35208-wotl ... specs_etc/
Skyly
Master of the beard

Post by Skyly »

No shadow affinity, phil?
Krita säger:
Utan din penis i min röv känner jag mig halv
Toenibbler
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Toenibbler »

for healing priests, intellect is better then spirit (it is for disc). well atleast it was like that in 3.0 dunno if its still the same in 3.1 but what i have read spirit is getting a major nerf

http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t46027-disc ... ompendium/

this is a nice guide for Disc priest, your holy i know, but some rules still apply :)

http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t35208-wotl ... specs_etc/

is a general guide, hope it helps
Phil
"Klinge der Horde"

Post by Phil »

Skyly wrote:No shadow affinity, phil?
Yea, that's right, with proper tanks you don't need threat reduction (some fights differ a bit, e.g. Loatheb especially if you're also VE-healing). For any other case where you might draw aggro, you got Fade.
Since we're still a bit behind on single-target dps, threat might in Ulduar only be an issue on aoe-heavy fights which also involve VE...

In regard to Toe, int was so far only better for Disc, never for Holy where spirit ruled. Even with the changes to regen in 3.1, I suppose spirit synergy is still way better and hence the rule of thumb should be: Holy (spi > int), while Disc (int > spi).

Since Holy and Disc are so different in playstyle, you're off way better with the general healing compendium instead of the Disc-specific :wink:
Lillstrumpan
Blood Guard
Blood Guard

Post by Lillstrumpan »

For holy int is better then spi on live and after 3.1 :wink:
Skryter inte gärna, spelar inte känd. Föddes som en stjärna, dör som en legend.
xyara
Grunt
Grunt

Post by xyara »

Lill I suppose you are saying intellect because this gives you crit ?
And with HC this will benefit the priests healing by using less mana?

What about haste, would you get gems for this in your gear to improve the IHC?
Lillstrumpan
Blood Guard
Blood Guard

Post by Lillstrumpan »

The int is for mana reg (MP5, Replenishment, shadowfiend, Hymn of Hope, HC), crit and mana poll.

Going to gem for int.
Skryter inte gärna, spelar inte känd. Föddes som en stjärna, dör som en legend.
xyara
Grunt
Grunt

Post by xyara »

SerXes
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Post by SerXes »

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbuZbx ... zAo:mAbzVM

Thinking to change my holy spec to this.
A bit unsure about Blessed resilience vs filling up Empowered healing.
Blessed resilience boosts all spells while empowered healing only helps GH FH and BH.
Anyone else tried with just one point in Surge of Light?
I hardly find myself using renew and it saves a lot of points to spend on nice things ;)
Raniz
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Raniz »

SerXes wrote:http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbuZbx ... zAo:mAbzVM

Blessed resilience boosts all spells while empowered healing only helps GH FH and BH.
I hardly find myself using renew and it saves a lot of points to spend on nice things ;)
If you calculate the formulas for Greater/Flash Heal depending on what talent you choose it comes down to this (on average):

3/3 Blessed Resilience and 2/5 Empowered Healing
:
GH = 4398 + 1.925 * SP
FH = 2101 + 0.896 * SP

5/5 Empowered Healing
:
GH = 4270 + 2.256 * SP
FH = 2040 + 0.967 * SP

With 2000 SP Greater Heal will heal for 6% and Flash Heal for 2% more with 5/5 Empowered Healing compared to 3/3 Blessed Resilience and 2/5 Empowered Healing.

You can use Recount to determine how much of your total healing comes from Greater/Flash Heal and then figure out which one will increase your healing the most, but I'm pretty sure that maxing out Empowered Healing is the way to go.
SerXes
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Post by SerXes »

Raniz wrote:
SerXes wrote:http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbuZbx ... zAo:mAbzVM

If you calculate the formulas for Greater/Flash Heal depending on what talent you choose it comes down to this (on average):

3/3 Blessed Resilience and 2/5 Empowered Healing
:
GH = 4398 + 1.925 * SP
FH = 2101 + 0.896 * SP

5/5 Empowered Healing
:
GH = 4270 + 2.256 * SP
FH = 2040 + 0.967 * SP

With 2000 SP Greater Heal will heal for 6% and Flash Heal for 2% more with 5/5 Empowered Healing compared to 3/3 Blessed Resilience and 2/5 Empowered Healing.

You can use Recount to determine how much of your total healing comes from Greater/Flash Heal and then figure out which one will increase your healing the most, but I'm pretty sure that maxing out Empowered Healing is the way to go.
Yeah the big difference is that blessed resilience increases all other spells as well.
Usually go disc in raids so no real recount data to base it on ;)
Feels like while raidhealing you use a lot more other spells though.