New GFX card - GTX 260/280 Radeon 4870 reviews inside

Chit chat
Fenz
old man

New GFX card - GTX 260/280 Radeon 4870 reviews inside

Post by Fenz »

I am looking into buying a new gfx card (+ a new computer probably :P)

The performance of the new Nvidia cards is underwelming (more sites share the same opinion):

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvi ... ,1953.html

The Radeon 4870 get's a nice review, in august the SLI will come out and probably blow the GTX280 out of the water...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rad ... ,1964.html

Or...I could wait till next year for the nvidia cards with DirectX 10.1 API in its GPUs:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia ... ,5821.html

Or just go for a GeForce 9800 GX2 since is still performs rather well. (I have a 7950x2 atm.

Also looking into buying a 24" monitor. Any suggestions?

Choices, Choices.
I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.
Lateralus
Dr. Gordon Freeman

Re: New GFX card - GTX 260/280 Radeon 4870 reviews inside

Post by Lateralus »

2v2 tonight? :D

Oh cant help u on cardstuff ^^
flame
El Complicatore

Post by flame »

Just received the XFX version in the shop.
Go slowly on buying a top of the range GFX card, unless you dont mind having it for the 4 weeks and then see the price drops around 200Eur. :)
Nevertheless, the fastest single card around atm.

When buying a new PC, try and find someone to build it for you and buy it in parts. Resellers use "old" stock to pile up on "pre-made" machines most of the times.
Get the parts and get it built with "hopefully" some warranty on the actual build too. :)

Also try and get SLI motherboards for future expansion, it will save you some Euros on later date "new" gfx" card by truly taking advantage on the price drop on the same one you have.
At the same time, dont let it go too late for a new one as they can simply disappear from the market before you say "aha".

Get one "raptor" for OS, and invest on a 1TB Disk with 32MB for the rest. :P
I prefer Asus boards.

Will be saying hi soon, as I got hit by a 46 hour a day shift.
Hope all is well.
Complicating is the true path to simplicity.
Ithelia
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Ithelia »

flame wrote:Just received the XFX version in the shop.
Go slowly on buying a top of the range GFX card, unless you dont mind having it for the 4 weeks and then see the price drops around 200Eur. :)

When buying a new PC, try and find someone to build it for you and buy it in parts. Resellers use "old" stock to pile up on "pre-made" machines most of the times.
Get the parts and get it built with "hopefully" some warranty on the actual build too. :)

Also try and get SLI motherboards for future expansion, it will save you some Euros on later date "new" gfx" card by truly taking advantage on the price drop on the same one you have.
At the same time, dont let it go too late for a new one as they can simply disappear from the market before you say "aha".

I prefer Asus boards.

Hope all is well.
And dont forget to apply for a job at NASA with this computer!1
And you thought you knew pain...

Marco#1117
Nerwen
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Nerwen »

I am not Sure about the grafic Cards ( A bit lost my self in there ) but for the monitor I will suggest u the Samsung ( I have two the 20 and 22 and is the best monitors I have seen on my eyes )
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Lateralus wrote:2v2 tonight? :D

Ok. Now give me info on the cardstuff!1
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

flame wrote:Just received the XFX version in the shop.

I prefer Asus boards.

Hope all is well.
Yeah I read the prices of the GTX260 have to drop very soon seeing that the Radeon 4870 out performs it and is a lot cheaper.

I will probably just buy a monitor first.

Good to see you are not dead :lol:
Versus
High Warlord
High Warlord

Post by Versus »

Price drops already started nvidia is in trouble their stock tumbled by over 30% lately combined with the latest competion with ati.
Nvidia already dropped prices down hard on gx260/280 a 280 goes around 499 now not every retailer is updated yet though.
I prolly would go myself still with an 4870 though you need an updated bios to fix the fan imo it defaults on earlier bios to max 15% speed you can drop temps 30C down if set at 30%.
SLI versions still have microstuttering problems and i personally wouldnt go for them.

Can read more if interested here
http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

For monitor advise i would still go with an s-pva screen there is a pretty huge difference in price between those and cheaper tn screens but imo s-pva is worth it better colors better/view angles.

I would actually go myself for an 27" version instead of an 24" with the same native res same performance in games as 24" .

http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Mo ... +en+groter

24" one:
http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Mo ... +en+groter

Oh and zero pixel flaws guarantee added too imo :P

Also for a whole new pc i would go with 2 solid state disks one for os one for favorite games or both in raid 0 setup:
Major pricereduction just went through on these ones too no reviews yet though from those

http://core.tweakers.net/nieuws/54291/o ... -voor.html

Havent looked into mb's ask flameboy for that!
Last edited by Versus on 04 Jul 2008, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
Lateralus
Dr. Gordon Freeman

Post by Lateralus »

Fenz wrote:

Ok. Now give me info on the cardstuff!1
expensive= good
cheap= baad
Kingeling
Champion
Champion

Post by Kingeling »

Versus wrote: Also for a whole new pc i would go with 2 solid state disks one for os one for favorite games or both in raid 0 setup:
Major pricereduction just went through on these ones too no reviews yet though from those

Or 1 SSD bootdisk and a F1 terabyte disk for storage.. I'm looking out for these SSD's as well, so fast... :)
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Sweet 27" monitor can I use that with my current 9750x2 gfx card Versus? How far do have to sit away from that monitor? ;)
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Kingeling wrote:
Versus wrote: Also for a whole new pc i would go with 2 solid state disks one for os one for favorite games or both in raid 0 setup:

Or 1 SSD bootdisk and a F1 terabyte disk for storage.. I'm looking out for these SSD's as well, so fast... :)
Build me a pc at Alternate.nl or another shop King or Versus!
Lateralus
Dr. Gordon Freeman

Post by Lateralus »

oh fuck i need to cancel. Åsas friend and her kids are gonna live with us for the weekend. (AV WEEKEND GR8 PLANNING!!11)
Fenz
old man

Post by Fenz »

Lateralus wrote:

oh fuck i need to cancel. Åsas friend and her kids are gonna live with us for the weekend. (AV WEEKEND GR8 PLANNING!!11)
Ruiner can you play in the evening (sat/sun)?
Kerz
Champion
Champion

Post by Kerz »

I just bought a Samsung T220 22". The guy from the shop (My favorite shop for years now) adviced me to not go bigger than 22" when your a gamer and play shooters. You have to have a very good videocard to run a 24"or 27" monitor smoothly. I had a 15 fps drop allready from upgrading from 19"to 22" in WOW. That is with a 8800 card.
Oke no more beer for me